St Andrew’s Church has a chequered history. The church was built in the late fourteenth
century and is one of the oldest in York. It was closed in 1559 as a result of an
Act of Parliament that demanded a reduction in the number of churches within the
Since 1559 the building has been used for various purposes.
Today the building has reverted to its original function of being a place of Christian
worship. It is owned by the York Brethren Assembly who meets there every Sunday.